What if there was an easy way to teach our children that they can choose their attitude? Something like a fun children’s book about positive mindset to teach our little ones that feeling good is down to us. That when we’re having a bad day, there’s plenty we can do to turn things around. And that small positive actions lead to great results.
Even as grown-ups, we can sometimes forget that we have a choice. That we’re in control of the way we react or respond to situations and events around us. And if you ask me, there’s never been a better time to remind ourselves of this and to take the opportunity to share this knowledge with our children!
So, welcome to Grumpy Gorilla and Happy Hippo – A Positive Tale for All to Read!
What is this children’s book about?
Grumpy Gorilla and Happy Hippo – A Positive Tale for All to Read is the debut children’s book by Scott Harrison, beautifully illustrated by Tom Bonson. At its core, the book is about inspiring children to see the glass half-full and look at the bright side of life. Aimed at children aged 2-8, it’s the story of two best friends (you guessed it) – Grumpy Gorilla and Happy Hippo.
Cue in the name, Grumpy Gorilla is always miserable. Things always go wrong for him, and he seems to live under a permanent dark cloud. But is it really any wonder, considering he always chooses to focus on the worst-case scenario?
Enter Happy Hippo, who has a completely opposite outlook on life. He believes that when you choose to be positive instead, “life will be happier and so much more fun”. And not just that – more opportunities will come your way too!
During the course of the story, where other fun animal characters are introduced, Happy Hippo teaches Grumpy Gorilla that if you change the way you think, you’ll be able to change your whole life!
Happy Hippo shows his friend that there are always things you can do to brighten up your days. You can make positive choices that will change your mood (and your life) for the better.
- Moving your body and exercising.
- Eating something healthy (anyone for poached eggs, avocado, and toast?)
- Choosing to laugh, tell jokes, and be happy (and with a brilliantly-delivered poo joke in the book, giggles for the little ones are guaranteed!)
- Being kind and sharing with friends – because when you’re nice to others, they’ll be nice right back!
Why choose this children’s book about positive mindset?
I often get asked to review and recommend books, but not all books tick all the boxes. However, as a participant of Scott Harrison’s programme The Six Pack Revolution, I’ve experienced first-hand how life-changing adopting a positive mindset can be. Sure, the programme (for adults) focuses primarily on diet and exercise.
But it’s way more than that.
- It’s about understanding that we have the power within ourselves to do, be, and achieve anything.
- It’s about realising that the more we focus on the negatives and the things we don’t want (just like Grumpy Gorilla does), the more of those things we’ll attract to our lives.
- And it’s about teaching people that the moment we start to believe we can do something, we become unstoppable. And, in Happy Hippo’s wise words, “life will be happier and so much more fun”.
2020 has been the strangest year our generation has experienced so far. Our children, like the little troopers they are, have taken it into their stride – ridden through the wave. No one knows what the world will look like for the next generations.
But if, right now, we can grab the opportunity to remind ourselves, and to teach our children in a fun and age-appropriate way, that our mindset determines the course of our life, then I think we should.
Where can you find Grumpy Gorilla and Happy Hippo?
If you want to gift your children or family and friends Grumpy Gorilla and Happy Hippo, you can find it here.